- If you are unsure whether you need a private applicator’s license, or another type of license, try our using our decision tree.
- If you need a private applicator license, see the options below for taking the open-book exam.
- If you need to renew your current license, check out this FLOW CHART with options for renewing. You can renew online or by mail below.
Applicants for private applicator licenses must:
- Submit an order form with a payment of $20 for the private applicator exam and manual (or see other options below).
- Successfully complete the private applicator exam.
- Submit the $75 license fee with the application, exam answer sheet and a copy of your driver’s license.
Taking the exam
You have two options for taking the test:
- Online: take the test online through the CDA. It costs $20 and you have 30 days to complete the exam.
- Access the online exam: Colorado Private Pesticide Application Exam.
- Paper test: you can get the printed study guide and test from the CDA for $20. There is no time limit to return the test.
- You can order a paper study guide and exam electronically: Exam Materials Online Request Form.
- You can order the paper study guide and exam through the mail by printing out the form: Private Pesticide Applicator Training Manual And Examination Pa 676 Order Form
- Call your local Extension office (list of Extension numbers) to see if you can purchase the study guide and test from them. Sometimes they charge a small handling fee, but it may be more convenient for you to get it from the Extension office rather than waiting for the CDA to send it.
Expiration & Continuing Education
Private applicator licenses expire 3 years from your birth-date. The renewal fee is $75. In order to renew your license, you must either:
Obtain all required continuing education credits (CECs) PRIOR to your license expiring and submit your renewal before the expiration date.
Retest and resubmit an application (start the certification process over again).
RENEW ONLINE using the Application For Private Pesticide Applicator License.
If you use the online licensing feature, please email the following:
- Copy of your driver’s license
- Digital file of a passport-type photo (head-shot) in .pdf form. (No sunglasses, hats, or other obstructions; and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. This photo will be used on the new plastic licenses).
You MUST have already passed the Private Applicator exam (CDA must have your score) OR have earned all the renewal credits required.
Want to renew by mail? Click here.
Questions? Please contact CDA at 303-869-9064 or by email.
RENEWING AFTER YOUR LICENSE EXPIRED?
If you have earned ALL your CECs and submit your renewal after the expiration date, you are subject to a late fee:
- Renewing within 30 days after license expired, you’re subject to a $7.50 late fee.
- Renewing within 180 days after license expired, you’re subject to a $20 late fee.
- Renewing beyond 180 days after license is expired is NOT allowed and you must retake the exam.
If you have not earned all the required CECs, retake the exam and apply for a new license.
If you choose to renew through CECs, you must obtain 1 or 2 credits in each of 6 different categories:
•Applicator Safety (1 credit)
•Environmental Protection (1 credit)
•Laws and Regulations (2 credits)
•Pesticides and Their Families (1 credit)
•Public Safety (1 credit)
•Use of Pesticides (1 credit)
Find upcoming CEC workshops on our Workshop Calendar.